- Broad Street Bristol BS1 1DR
- E: email@example.com
Broad Street Bristol BS1 1DREmail
Emily is a specialist in criminal law. She is also a member of the inquest team.
Emily has a busy prosecution and defence practice. She is confident in dealing with a wide range of cases, including those involving serious violence, sexual offences and drugs.
Emily has been praised for the way in which she engages with challenging and vulnerable defendants and complainants. She is adept at putting people at ease and is highly effective on her feet.
Emily is a CPS Grade 3 Prosecutor, and confident managing disclosure and sensitive material.
Emily received the Jules Thorne Major Scholarship from Middle Temple for her GDL and BPTC. She also received the Baron Dr Ver Heyden de Lancey Prize for being the highest achieving Middle Templar during her BPTC at the University of the West of England.
Recent Crime Cases:
- R v DS & others (Bristol CC 2022). Instructed as prosecution disclosure junior in a case in which eight individuals (mostly youths) were charged on a joint enterprise basis with murdering another youth.
- R v MW (Bristol CC 2022). Instructed as junior to represent D charged with 19 counts of serious sexual offences including multiple counts of rape. The charges spanning 33 years and involving four complainants.
- R v LM (Bristol CC 2022). Represented D with previous relevant convictions, for two counts of armed robbery. Following a guilty plea, sentence of 4 years and 3 months.
- R v JP (Bristol CC 2022). Prosecuted D who was facing fraud and theft charges committed against her employer which amounted to upwards of £60,000 over the course of three years.
- R v JW (Bristol CC 2021/22). Represented D who was charged an on indictment with 19 counts alleging fraud, burglary and theft. Following a successful dismissal application, 6 counts remained on indictment.
- R v JM (Bristol CC 2021). Represented D charged with street robbery at night in which knife mentioned, suspended sentence imposed.
- R v WC (Bristol CC 2021). Represented D charged with serious sexual offences including rape of a child under the age of 13 (committed when D was a youth).
- R v CB & KM (Swindon CC 2020/2021). Successful prosecution of robbery in which physical violence was used in the victim’s home. Issue at trial was identification.
- R v TB (Bristol CC 2021). Represented D facing charges for indecent images. Prosecution dropped case against client following instruction of an expert and representations to Crown.
- R v RM (Bristol MC 2021). Represented youth charged with a number of serious sexual offences. Resulted in 12-month referral order.
- R v NW (Bristol and Exeter CC 2020). Prosecuted D charged with PWITS A. Perverting the course of justice offence committed during the course of the trial by attempts to contact juror. Convictions secured at subsequent trial.
- R v JM (Taunton CC 2020). Hung jury when represented D charged with robbery despite him being picked out during a VIPER procedure. Prosecution later offered no evidence against him.
Recent Inquest Cases:
- RE MW Deceased (Truro Coroner’s Court 2022). Represented healthcare trust where deceased was open to CMH services and committed suicide. No findings made against trust.
- RE GF Deceased (Exeter Coroner’s Court 2021). Represented healthcare trust during 2-week Article 2 inquest involving a death in custody.
- RE OY Deceased (Bristol Coroner’s Court 2021). Represented hospital during inquest involving death of very young baby in hospital. Case involved considerable medical evidence from a number of disciplines.