- Broad Street Bristol BS1 1DR
- E: email@example.com
Broad Street Bristol BS1 1DREmail
Fiona Elder is a specialist in criminal law undertaking prosecution and defence work throughout the South West. She is a CPS panel advocate level 4 prosecutor.
Fiona also has extensive practices in inquests and professional disciplinary work.
Fiona has a particular interest in cases involving violent and sexual allegations, and those cases which involve juveniles and persons with mental health difficulties (whether defendant or victim). Fiona has considerable experience in dealing with cases which involve a determination of a defendant’s fitness to plead.
She has, as sole counsel, successfully prosecuted multi-handed trials alleging murder and attempted murder.
Fiona has considerable experience in representing and prosecuting professional persons e.g. police officers and teachers, particularly in cases containing sexual allegations.
Cases of particular interest include:
- Murder: Junior Counsel for the defence of a 21-year-old accused of killing both his parents in a ritualistic fashion;
- Murder: Sole counsel for prosecution of two men alleged to have killed their friend by beating;
- Manslaughter: Defended a grandmother who was alleged to have neglected her grandson while she was drunk;
- Neglect: Defence of both a care assistant and a nurse alleged to have neglected vulnerable residents;
- Arson: Prosecuted a senior police officer for arson and perverting the course of justice;
- Rape: Defended an 81-year-old man alleged to have sexually assaulted four generations of his family;
- Rape: Prosecuted a predatory paedophile for offences against a 14-year-old girl;
- Rape: Prosecuted a married couple for sexual offences committed against their daughter and other female children;
- Rape: Defended a 75-year-old man for historic sexual offences against two boys;
- Child Cruelty: Prosecuted a father for continuing cruelty against each of his five children;
- Attempt Rape: Defended a 14-year-old boy with learning difficulties, alleged to have attempted to rape a friend;
- GBH: Defended a man with significant mental-health difficulties for attacking his ex-partner with a hammer;
- Firearms: Prosecuted five members of a street gang for the possession of firearms and ammunition;
- Inquest: Represented a nursing sister at the inquest into the death of a male from malnutrition and neglect;
- Misconduct: Represented a police officer for his use of social media;
- Represented a police officer who had a sexual relationship with a witness and lied in a S.9 statement.
As well as sitting as an Assistant Deputy Coroner from 1995 to 2008, Fiona has appeared as counsel in many inquests representing police, medical staff and families of the deceased.
Misconduct / Disciplinary
Fiona also represents police officers at misconduct hearings.