Albion Chambers offer a range of Alternative Dispute Resolutions including Private Financial Dispute Resolutions (FDR) and Arbitration. Our highly skilled and talented team ensure a seamless and efficient process. In addition, our central Bristol Chambers offer a professional environment in which to conduct such matters.
We have conducted private FDRs, within our Chambers, and in venues across the region and have seen a growing and steady increase in private FDRs in recent years. They are seen as an efficient and cost effective way of achieving the best possible outcome for clients, whilst avoiding the stress and uncertainty of court proceedings.
FDR hearings are a key stage of financial proceedings in the Family Courts. An FDR is an informal hearing before a Judge and tend to follow the steps below.
- The Judge would hear a summary presentation from each side
- The Judge would then provide an “early neutral evaluation” of the likely outcome if the case were to proceed to a final hearing
- Following this evaluation, the parties aim to negotiate solutions for themselves aided by the understanding of what might be the likely outcome at court, if the case went to a final hearing
This procedure avoids months of further waiting, significantly higher legal costs and is generally successful in producing a settlement in many cases.
For more information on Private FDRs, please contact our family clerks.
Arbitration is an alternative way to having your financial or child disputes determined in court. It is beneficial in many ways.
- The process is entirely confidential, unlike court proceedings.
- Parties can select their arbitrator, unlike a judge in court.
- Parties are not burdened by the delay in court diaries.
The process is much more flexible than court proceedings.
For more information on Arbitration, please contact our family clerks.
‘One of the strongest in the South West’ for divorce and financial remedy work Legal 500 2024
'Albion Chambers stands out as 'a strong set with an excellent reputation in the South West'; 'the family team is one of the best', according to instructing solicitors.' Legal 500 2023
'The best set in the South West for family matters' ‘The family clerks are all wonderful. They are responsive, helpful and really go out of their way to help find you the right counsel for your case‘. Legal 500 2022